The nomination of Duke Buchan III as Ambassador to Spain has the Spanish media abuzz.
The Spanish press was abuzz last night after the White House announced the nomination of financier Duke Buchan III as Ambassador to Spain. Why? Major Spanish outlets like El Mundo, OK Diaro, and El Pais highlighted how unlike President Obama’s last ambassador and many of his predecessors, Buchan actually speaks Spanish and even has a working knowledge of Catalan, as well as a long, demonstrated involvement and commitment to Spain, its culture, and people.
Spanish reaction on Twitter reflected this point:
@USembassyMadrid Trump envía a España un embajador que habla español y conoce España. Ya era hora. Richard Duke Buchan III. Respeto.
— Miguel Valverde (@MiguelValverde4) August 4, 2017
[TRANSLATION: Trump sends to Spain an ambassador who speaks Spanish and knows Spain. It was time. Richard Duke Buchan III. Respect.]
Duke Buchan, designado embajador estadounidense en España, es el primer titular de ese cargo en lustros que habla correctamente castellano.
— Juan M. H. Puértolas (@JuanMHPuertolas) August 4, 2017
[TRANSLATION: Duke Buchan, designated American ambassador in Spain, is the first holder of that position in lustros that speaks Castilian correctly]
No soy nada fan de Trump, pero creo que Duke Buchan es el mejor de los embajadores posibles. Un tipo que, al parecer, ama España. Firmo
— Miguel Ángel Uriondo (@uriondo) August 4, 2017
[TRANSLATION: I’m not a fan of Trump, but I think Duke Buchan is the best of the possible ambassadors. A guy who, apparently, loves Spain. Firm]
[NOTE: Translation were done by Google translate]
Indeed, President Obama’s last ambassador to Spain was former HBO exec James Costos, who didn’t speak the language and whose only qualification seemed to be that his partner, the famed interior designer Michael Smith, is such a “close friend” of former First Lady Michelle Obama that he was named official White House “decorator.” The couple has a close relationship with the Obamas, taking vacations with the former First Couple as well as raising some $500,000 for his 2012 re-election campaign.
Key points on Trump’s new ambassador to Spain, Duke Buchan:
- Founder & CEO of Hunter Global Investors, an investment management firm based in Palm Beach, FL. Since inception, the returns on Hunter’s current flagship fund are more than 7.0 times the Hedge Fund Index and 2.3 times the S&P 500.
- BA in economics and Spanish from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) and MBA from Harvard Business School. Studied at two major Spanish universities: La Universidad de Valencia and La Universidad de Sevilla.
- Speaks Spanish, and has a working knowledge of Catalan.
- Started his career at Merrill Lynch, working in corporate finance and M&A across Europe, Latin America, and the United States.
- A major supporter of Spanish language, culture and literature programs at UNC, establishing the Buchan Excellence Fund, the University’s largest endowment for Spanish-related programs.
9.28.17 11:11 amThe NFL Just Lost Its First Sponsor Over Players Kneeling During The National Anthem
“Our companies will not condone unpatriotic behavior!” Cleveland businessman Allan Jones said in a statement.
9.18.17 10:59 amFox News Highlights Media Bias In A CBS Report About Richard Cordray
“CBS Sunday Morning” didn’t disclose that four of the lawyers that it interviewed had ties to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
9.18.17 10:41 amAmericans Overwhelmingly Reject Internet Sales Tax Proposal
Two of three Americans said they oppose a sales tax in their state on items purchased online.
9.14.17 2:07 pmNew NRSC Ad Hits Claire McCaskill for Saying ‘Normal People’ Can Afford a Private Plane
It’s the latest gaffe for the vulnerable senator from Missouri.