See where key senators stand on the Senate GOP’s plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, as Mitch McConnell hopes for a vote before the July 4 recess.
Senate GOP leadership made public its Obamacare replacement bill last week, the Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017.
The bill is the product of six weeks of negotiations steered by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). It slows and eventually stops federal funding of Medicaid expansion, repeals Obamacare’s taxes, and makes changes to the scope and amount of Obamacare subsidies to purchase private health insurance.
Assuming all 46 Democratic senators oppose the bill – along with Sens. Angus King (I-ME) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) – McConnell can only afford to lose two GOP votes on the bill, and that’s with Vice President Mike Pence breaking a 50-50 tie vote.
Below is a rough whip count of who’s opposed or undecided on the bill, who to watch for, and why any given GOP senator is not a “yes.”
NTK Network will update as the vote draws closer.
- Rand Paul (R-KY) – will vote against starting debate
- Susan Collins (R-ME) – will vote against starting debate
- Ron Johnson (R-WI) – will vote against starting debate
- Ted Cruz (R-TX) – “variety of reasons“
- Mike Lee (R-UT) – “variety of reasons“
- Dean Heller (R-NV) – Medicaid cuts
- Jerry Moran (R-KS) – “misses the mark“
- Rob Portman (R-OH) – Medicaid, opioid epidemic
- Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) – Medicaid, opioid epidemic
- Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) – needs more information
- Bill Cassidy (R-LA) – must pass his Jimmy Kimmel test
- Cory Gardner (R-CO) – wants to slow down the process
- Marco Rubio (R-FL) – undecided according to Politico
WHO TO WATCH FOR (1)
- Jeff Flake (R-AZ) – vulnerable in 2018
9.18.17 10:59 amFox News Highlights Media Bias In A CBS Report About Richard Cordray
“CBS Sunday Morning” didn’t disclose that four of the lawyers that it interviewed had ties to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
9.18.17 10:41 amAmericans Overwhelmingly Reject Internet Sales Tax Proposal
Two of three Americans said they oppose a sales tax in their state on items purchased online.
9.14.17 2:07 pmNew NRSC Ad Hits Claire McCaskill for Saying ‘Normal People’ Can Afford a Private Plane
It’s the latest gaffe for the vulnerable senator from Missouri.
8.24.17 3:00 pmIs Tim Cook Running For President?
The Apple CEO held presidential campaign style events in the pivotal states of Iowa and Ohio on Thursday.